Denied beer, 'Tigerman' roars

PHOTO: The Straits Times

He was a menace at the coffee shop he frequented for Tiger beer.

While drinking, he would verbally abuse the staff, so that they called him "Tigerman" and refused to sell him alcohol in November last year.

But that made Nadesan Manickam, 62, even more hostile and he threatened to burn down the coffee shop.

Yesterday, Nadesan, who is unemployed, was jailed for two months for one count of criminal intimidation.

He had claimed trial to the charge.

In the prosecution's closing submissions, it was stated that Nadesan would show up three to four times a week for drinks at the coffee shop at New Upper Changi Road.

Madam Lee Soon Foong, 62, a cashier at the drinks stall, said Nadesan used to scold and hit her when he visited the coffee shop.

This was confirmed by her manager, Mr Simon Ong.

Because Nadesan was such a troublemaker, Mr Ong told Madam Lee not to sell Nadesan any more alcohol.


On Nov 14 last year, Nadesan went to the coffee shop at about 9am after drinking two bottles of Tiger beer elsewhere.

Madam Lee told him she could not sell him any beer.

Nadesan hurled vulgarities at her, pointed his middle finger at her and threatened to beat her up.

He also said he would burn down the coffee shop.

Madam Lee told Mr Ong about it and he made a police report. Nadesan was arrested that day.

Police officers who arrested him said that he reeked of alcohol, but was fully aware of what was happening.

In February this year, Madam Lee quit her job because of Nadesan's abuse.

During the two-day trial this month, Nadesan claimed he did not recognise Madam Lee or Mr Ong and said that nothing happened at the coffee shop.

Yesterday, Deputy Public Prosecutor Kavita Uthrapathy said in her closing submissions that Nadesan's bare denial of what happened was a "total lie."

Nadesan had also disagreed with two other charges of displaying abusive behaviour that the prosecution applied to be taken into consideration for sentencing.

A pre-trial conference for the other two charges was scheduled at a later date.

This article was first published on Aug 15, 2015. Get The New Paper for more stories.