Driver dies after crash at Marina Square entrance

PHOTO: Stomp

SINGAPORE - A 29-year-old car driver died from his injuries after an accident outside Marina Square today (Aug 10) at 2.30am.

Stomp contributors Jason and Trevor witnessed the incident and shared photos of the car with Stomp.

In the photos, the front of the car was completely damaged as the stone barrier was lodged in the middle of the bonnet.

Trevor told Stomp that he saw Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) officers at the scene trying to rescue the driver, who was trapped in his car.

Man dies after car slams into F1 barrier near Marina Square

  • A 29-year-old man died after his car crashed into a Formula One barrier along Raffles Boulevard near Marina Square Thursday (Aug 10) morning.
  • Mr Ng Phing Keen, who owns a car accessories business and had been set to be part of F1's hospitality team, was believed to have lost control of his Honda Civic, which skidded and crashed into the concrete barrier.
  • He was taken to hospital but later died from his injuries. Photos of the incident which happened around 2.50am showed the white car lodged in the barrier with its front badly damaged.
  • Singapore Civil Defence Force officers found Mr Ng trapped in his vehicle and used hydraulic tools to extricate him.
  • Several friends posted online tributes to Mr Ng, with many expressing shock at news of his death and sharing fond memories of him.
  • Singapore GP, which organises the F1 race here, offered its condolences and said Mr Ng had been scheduled to work at the grand prix for two weeks as a contract facility director next month and had been a valued member of the hospitality team for the past three races.
  • The incident is believed to be the first time that a member of the public had crashed into a Singapore Formula One Grand Prix barrier since the first race in 2008.

In response to media queries, the police told Stomp that they were alerted to an accident involving a car along Raffles Boulevard towards Republic Boulevard at 2.51am.

A 29-year-old man was unconscious when conveyed to Singapore General Hospital (SGH), where he succumbed to his injuries.

Police investigations are ongoing.

More about
Accidents - Traffic