Even the neighbours heard the glass panels shatter

Even the neighbours heard the glass panels shatter

She was in the kitchen when she heard what sounded like an explosion coming from the master bedroom toilet.

Mrs Jacquelyn Tan, 34, ran in and saw glass pieces strewn all over the floor, her two daughters and her maid.

All three were frozen with fear and blood was running down their arms.

A floor-to-ceiling glass panel, about half a metre wide and 1cm thick, had shattered without any warning.

This happened on April 6 at about 10pm.

Mrs Tan's four-year-old, Lane, was being bathed by their domestic helper while eight-year-old Lace was about to brush her teeth.

The shattered panel had been installed just 11 months ago in Mrs Tan's Bukit Purmei flat.

It was one of four panels that made up the shower partition.

The sound of the glass shattering was so loud that even Mrs Tan's neighbours heard it.

"I thought my entire wardrobe had fallen over," said Mrs Tan.

Her husband immediately grabbed Lane, who was the most badly injured, dressed her and rushed to the hospital.

"There was so much blood flowing from her head," said Mrs Tan, "It went down to her ears and was dripping all over the floor."


Lane suffered a cut to her head, which required four stitches, and she was hospitalised for a night.

She also had numerous cuts on her arms, hands and legs.

Mrs Tan said the nurse had to use a magnifying glass to remove the glass pieces, especially the fragments on her scalp.

Lace and their maid also suffered small cuts all over their bodies.

Mrs Tan's father called their contractor and the workers went to clear the broken glass in the morning.

They offered to replace the glass panel, but the Tans declined.

Instead, they asked the contractor to remove all the glass panels in her home.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.
Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.