Two Facebook posts complaining about MRT commuters have lit up social media this week, prompting some netizens to dig up personal details of the Briton who made them.
In the posts, the writer called MRT riders "poor people" and also mentioned him washing off "the stench of public transport".
They were posted by Mr Anton Casey, a senior wealth manager who lives here with his Singaporean wife, former Miss Singapore Bernice Wong, and their son.
Criticism mounted after the posts went viral on Monday, with some angry netizens digging up Mr Casey's home address, place of work, and his home- and mobile-phone numbers.
Nobody answered when MyPaper called those numbers.
MyPaper also paid a visit to Mr Casey's office in Amoy Street and his home in Gilstead Road.
His office was shut. The curtains at his townhouse were drawn, and both Mr Casey and his wife's cars were gone.
Neighbours said they had not seen the couple since Monday.
Last evening, a statement written by Mr Casey was sent out by public-relations agency Fulford PR.
"I would like to extend a sincere apology to the people of Singapore," he said, adding that, in the past 24 hours, the writer's family and, especially, his five-year-old son had "suffered extreme emotional and verbal abuse online".
He added that police are investigating the matter, including the fact that he has received death threats.
He said his family's distress was due to "a security breach of (his) personal Facebook page, and the misuse of an old video by unknown sources".
A video of Mr Casey had been circulated earlier this week which appeared to show him mocking netizens.
This video, said Mr Casey yesterday, was actually "made weeks prior and has been misused to portray me as unrepentant". It was not posted in response to recent events, he added.
"I deeply regret having offended and disrespected the people of Singapore... I wish for nothing more than to be forgiven for my poor judgment and given a second chance to rebuild the trust people have had in me as a resident of this wonderful country," he said.
Get MyPaper for more stories.
Here is his apology that has been posted in forums online:
I would like to extend a sincere apology to the people of Singapore. In the past 24 hours due to a recent chain of events, which include my misguided attempt at humour, a security breach of my personal Facebook page and the misuse of an old video by unknown sources, my family, especially, my five-year-old son has suffered extreme emotional and verbal abuse online.
It must be made extremely clear that a YouTube video of me, with my son in the background was not posted in response to any recent events. This video was made weeks prior and has been misused to portray me as unrepentant. Police investigation into this matter, including receiving death threats, is ongoing.
I have offended and disrespected the people of Singapore, my family - especially my five-year-old son. He is an innocent party to this unfortunate and extremely stressful situation. I wish for nothing more than to be forgiven for my poor judgement and given a second chance to rebuild the trust people had in me as a resident of this City - specifically for my family.
Anton S Casey