He was supposed to celebrate his 35th birthday with his wife this November and had already made plans to go fishing.
However, Mohd Rizalludin Hassan died last Thursday after an aromatherapy diffuser exploded and left him with 80 per cent burns on his body.
The engineer suffered infection in his wounds and died in hospital about a week after the incident.
Berita Harian reported that the accident occurred on October 14 at the Jurong East home of Mr Rizalludin's mother-in-law. His family had been living there temporarily while waiting for their new flat to be ready.
Mr Rizalludin is survived by his wife, Ms Nurul Asyikin Norman, a teacher, and their 4 children aged between 10 months and 8 years old.
Speaking to Berita Harian last night (Oct 27), Ms Asyikin, 33, said she believes that the accident was caused by a bottle containing essential oil.
"As always, my husband was setting up the diffuser in the master bedroom toilet while the rest of us were in the bedroom.
"Suddenly, as I was making my way out of the room, I heard a loud explosion coming from the toilet and saw my mother and kids screaming in fear while my my husband's body was on fire," she said as she wiped away a tear.
Shocked and in a state of panic, Ms Asyikin and her mother, Mdm Juraidah Nabi, 53, tried to put out the fire on his body using blankets despite owning a fire extinguisher.
For 9 days, Mr Rizalludin received treatment and went through surgery to heal his skin at the Singapore General Hospital (SGH).
Unfortunately, his condition deteriorated due to infections caused by the burns.
"I was very moved when many came forward wanting to help and I am touched by the support given to me and my family," Ms Asyikin said.
"I will use the donations given to fund my children's education and expenses.
"While I would like to thank everyone who wishes to make further donations, right now I have to decline all offers. I pray God will return the favour of kindness to those who have already given me their help."
Ms Asyikin also requests that those who have received photos of her husband via WhatsApp refrain from passing the photos on.
Police investigations are ongoing.