Fire breaks out at Singapore Polytechnic; woman sent to hospital

SINGAPORE - A fire broke out at a food court in Singapore Polytechnic on Thursday evening at block T9, and one woman was sent to hospital with burns.

RELATED STORIES

This is the second fire to hit the polytechnic this week, and the second fire to hit a canteen at the education institute in the past year. Previously, a fire broke out at Food Court 4 on July 26, 2012.

Reuben, a witness to the fire, said he was alerted to the fire by his friends who posted photos on a WhatsApp group. He was studying in a classroom nearby, so he walked over to see what was going on.

The fire broke out at approximately 7.40pm, he told citizen journalism site Stomp.

He could see the fire when he came out of the classroom, as it was only two basketball fields away, and a short walk.

He said that the fire alarm rang, but security did not evacuate anyone from the classroom.

He was at the scene for about 10 minutes before he walked back to the classroom.

The food court closes around 8pm, and at this time it's usually crowded with the dinner crowd.

However, Reuben said no one seems to be injured, and the security have cordoned off the area.

When he reached the food court, the SCDF were already there dousing the flames.

Purchase this article for republication.

SERVICES