Former top cop grills officer for 'doing nothing'

SINGAPORE - The public inquiry into the Little India riot resumed yesterday on a cordial note, with Committee of Inquiry (COI) chairman G. Pannir Selvam telling Tanglin Police Division commander Lu Yeow Lim that the committee's purpose was to investigate the incident, not to dispirit anybody.

The hearing, however, quickly took a hostile turn, with a heated exchange between former commissioner of police and COI member Tee Tua Ba and the ground commander on the night of Dec 8 last year, particularly over whether the police had stood by and "did holding the line" while the rioters ravaged Little India.

Mr Tee pointed out that the Deputy Assistant Commissioner of Police (DAC) had "more than 100 men" at his disposal.

However, DAC Lu clarified that police officers were scattered at various points along Race Course Road, in a theatre of operations "the size of three football fields". There were only eight officers - not counting two senior officers - with him in his immediate area of operations.

"You think standing there, doing nothing, doesn't come without risks? I think it was a huge risk trying to hold my position that night," he said.

Jammed airwaves hampered his ability to communicate with other pockets of officers and the combined operations room, while his line of sight was blocked by the mob and the accident scene.

He added that the number that Mr Tee were referring to was based on the GPS data of police vehicles and extrapolated by the COI investigators to determine the manpower on the ground.

This was not an accurate reflection of the number of personnel on the ground that night. Several were injured and about 30 were directing traffic, with only 47 officers actively engaging the rioters.

DAC Lu, who met two groups of rioters when he arrived at the scene, explained that the force doctrine of the police was to "hold your ground until you have amassed sufficient force".

He made the decision based on having insufficient manpower at the time to make arrests and effectively detain any of the rioters.

The heated exchange between DAC Lu and Mr Tee continued for more than an hour, until they were interrupted by the court transcriber, who could no longer keep an accurate record of the proceedings.

This article by The Straits Times was published in MyPaper, a free, bilingual newspaper published by Singapore Press Holdings.