Girl, 2, scalded by boiling water

The maid was steaming breakfast in the kitchen when she heard the toddler scream.

Her charge, a two-year-old girl, had wandered into the kitchen and apparently knocked over an unattended pot, spilling boiling water onto herself.

The accident happened last Friday at about 8am, reported Chinese evening daily Lianhe Wanbao.

According to the girl's mother, who wanted to be known only as Mrs Tan, the toddler was at home alone with the maid as both her and her husband had left for work.

After her maid called to tell her about the incident, Mrs Tan called her mother-in-law, who called for an ambulance after she rushed to see her granddaughter.

The girl's father, who wanted to be known only as Mr Tan, told The New Paper that the girl was rushed to Singapore General Hospital, and later moved to the Intensive Care Unit (ICU) at KK Woman's and Children's Hospital.

The accident left her with second-degree burns on the lower parts of her face, her shoulders and her chest.

Lianhe Wanbao reported that the toddler developed a fever after she was admitted.

When The New Paper visited the girl and her parents at the hospital, her head was covered in bandages.

Mr Tan said his daughter is in stable condition.


The toddler's aunt reportedly posted a picture of her injured niece on Facebook, attracting comments and well wishes from netizens, reported the Chinese newspaper.

In the Facebook post, the aunt alleged that the pot was left in a way that the girl could reach the handle, thus leading to the accident.

Lianhe Wanbao added that the maid has apologised repeatedly for the accident.

Mr Tan told TNP that the maid meant no harm.

"Right now, we are more concerned about our daughter," he told TNP.

Get The New Paper for more stories.