He stabbed strangers

Ong Eng Huat stabbed Mr He Jinzhu (above) in the back with a pair of scissors last year.

In a rampage that spanned more than six hours, he used a pair of scissors to stab three strangers in the back and threatened a fourth. Fortunately, no one was killed in the incident on April 12.

Ong Eng Huat, 44, who has schizophrenia, was jailed for 10 years and ordered to receive six strokes of the cane yesterday after pleading guilty to two counts of voluntarily causing hurt, one count of criminal intimidation and two drug-related offences.

Three counts of criminal intimidation and one assault charge were taken into consideration during sentencing.

The recalcitrant substance abuser was released in early 2012 after he had spent six years and six months in jail for drug consumption.

In the criminal intimidation that was proceeded with, cabby Chai Swee Boon, 51, was dropping off a passenger in front of Block 226, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 1, at around 11.30pm on April 7 when Ong suddenly entered the taxi from a rear door. The passenger, who was about to pay the fare, fled.

Ong pointed the pair of scissors at Mr Chai's neck and ordered him to drive. The latter obeyed out of fear and Ong alighted near Bishan Park.

In the two stabbing charges proceeded with, retiree He Jinzhu, 61, was sitting at the void deck of Block 101, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 at around 6am on April 12 when Ong stabbed him twice in the back with a pair of scissors.

Less than two hours later, Ong walked towards mould-maker Ong Kok Chhor, 57, who was waiting for a bus near Block 227, Yishun Street 21 and stabbed him before walking away.


Mr Ong realised the severity of his injuries when he felt his back was damp and realised he was bleeding.

The police, who were alerted after the two stabbing incidents, arrested Ong at the void deck of Block 101, Ang Mo Kio Avenue 3 at around 3pm. They found in his possession two straws containing a crystalline substance. An analysis found it to contain methamphetamine.

While locked up at Ang Mo Kio Police Divisional Headquarters, Ong refused to give officers his urine specimen despite being repeatedly asked to do so.

In mitigation, Ong, who was not represented by a lawyer, told District Judge Low Wee Ping that he was remorseful and promised to seek treatment for his schizophrenia after his release.

Judge Low said he could also get treated for the condition while behind bars.

Ong could have been jailed up to seven years, fined, and caned for each of his hurt offences.


This article was first published on Nov 21, 2014. Get The New Paper for more stories.