He wanted to go in & wash up

He wanted to go in & wash up
Mr Lim Teck Choon, 59, said he returned to the flat he previously owned at Bedok South Road because his current rental flat at Bedok South Avenue 2 had no electricty and water.
PHOTO: The New Paper

After the previous owners were jailed, she thought she could finally move into the flat that she had bought five years ago.

But there is still no respite for Madam Herni Fadhillah Saad, 40, because one of the former owners returned to claim the flat after his release from prison.

Mr Lim Teck Choon, 59, and his wife, Madam Tan Poh Lee, were jailed for contempt of court after they defied court orders to vacate the flat.

They were released from prison on Thursday evening.

When Madam Herni went to the four-room flat in Bedok South Road at 10pm that evening, she was shocked to see Mr Lim standing in front of the door at the common corridor.

Madam Herni told The New Paper yesterday: "When I asked him why he was there, he started shouting, insisting that it is his home."

A shouting match ensued and lasted about two hours. Neighbours came out to look at the commotion, but no one intervened, she said.

Madam Herni told him to go back to his rental flat in Bedok South Avenue 2, just a few blocks away. But he refused, so she called the police.

She said: "Police advised me to leave and come back another day. They anticipated that if I open the door, the uncle will barge in and refuse to leave. It will be more troublesome later."

She added: "I obliged. But in my heart I was thinking: How long is this going to happen? You mean every time I go there, he will be there, too? Then I have to call the police? When can I actually go in?"

Madam Herni said she had gone there with her sister and her sister's boyfriend to check out the flat as they planned to clean up the place over the weekend.

A neighbour, who declined to be named, said she saw four policemen at the lift landing when she returned home at about 8.30pm. Mr Lim was sitting outside the flat.

Another neighbour living a floor below, Madam Png Ah Hock, 75, said she heard shouting coming from upstairs at about 10pm.


"The shouting was very loud and they sounded very fierce," she said in Mandarin.

"I didn't go and take a look because I was so frightened. I stayed at home. I was too scared to open the door."

When TNP went there close to midnight, Mr Lim was sitting forlornly outside the flat.

He was alone and his eyes were closed.

Court papers were seen plastered on the door.

When TNP left at 1am, Mr Lim had not stirred from his position.

In an interview yesterday, he said that his rental flat was unliveable because all his belongings from his former flat had been moved into the one-room rental flat.

Mr Lim then decided to go to his old flat to wash up, but found that the locks had been changed.

He said he left at 3am when he could no longer stand the cold at the common corridor.

With nowhere to go, he loitered at the market nearby until his older brother went to help him clear some space in his rental flat.

Mr Lim said in Mandarin: "They moved all my things here and there is no place to walk. There is also no water and electricity. How do I live here?

"I told my son to take my wife to his home. If I can't even settle myself, how can I take care of her?"

Mr Lim said officers from Singapore Power and PUB would be activating his utilities today.

Though still aggrieved at having to vacate his previous home, Mr Lim said he will live in the rental flat with his wife once all the problems have been sorted out.

When asked if he would go back to his former flat again, he said he just wanted to retrieve a wall fan that had been left behind.

He said his most pressing concern is the sale proceeds for his former flat, which he claims he has yet to receive.

Mr Lim, who said he has end-stage nose cancer, added: "Without money, how do I survive? I still need to pay for doctor's appointments and medicine."

Madam Herni plans to return to the flat on Sunday to see if the coast is clear.

"I am worried about my children's and my safety. I want to move in peacefully," she said.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.
Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.