Inspector among group of cops accused of abducting Malaysian millionaire

KUALA LUMPUR - Four cops, one of them an officer, pleaded not guilty in the Sessions Court here to abducting a multi-millionaire businessman who holds the title of "Datuk".

Insp Mohd Khairul Hafiz Yaakob, 35, L/Kpl Khairon Zaidee Basiron, 33, L/Kpl Azlan Abdul Kadir, 35, and L/Kpl Amran Md Sali, 39, were jointly charged with kidnapping Datuk K. Gopala Guru, 48, at about 7.30pm on Feb 2, 2013.

The four were accused under Section 365 of the Penal Code with kidnapping or abducting with intent to secretly and wrongfully confine a person.

Insp Mohd Khairul was working in the Ampang district police headquarters while the other three policemen were from the Selangor police contingent headquarters.

All four have been suspended from work.

DPP Norazlin Mohamad Yusoff urged the court to deny them bail, saying that the crime was a serious offence.

"The offence is a non-bailable one and we believe that if bail is not granted, the possibility of finding the victim who is still missing is higher," she said.

The four accused face up to seven years imprisonment or fine if convicted under Section 365 of the Penal Code.

Meanwhile, L/Kpl Khairon claimed through his counsel Mohd Fazaly Ali Mohd Ghazali that he was brutally beaten up by police officers while he was under remand.

"He was beaten up by three police officers in the lockup, which have caused him to suffer hearing difficulties due to the injuries sustained on his right ear," Fazaly told the court.

In asking for bail, the four through their lawyers said that they would not abscond as they have their families here.

Sessions Court judge Datuk Jagjit Singh Bant Singh granted bail at RM30,000 in one surety each and instructed the four not to disturb the victim, his family and witnesses.

Judge Jagjit Singh later fixed Dec 7 for mention.

It was reported that Gopala, who owned several night clubs in Klang Valley, was abducted two years ago at a parking lot in Jalan Maharajalela here.

His burnt luxury car was located in Hulu Yam the day after the abduction.

Police have yet to find Gopala till this day.

Insp Mohd Khairul is also one of five who were charged in the Selayang court last month with another abduction case in Taman Seri Gombak.

In that case, two men - Manogaran Raja Krishnan and Ganason Vyapuri - were reportedly seen being led away in handcuffs by a group of men in unmarked cars.

A missing person's report was lodged later when the men could not be traced.

Police later arrested several cops and civilians in connection with their disappearance, and were led to the discovery of skeletal remains in Dengkil, Selangor and Kuala Klawang, Negri Sembilan.

All five are now being held at the Sungai Buloh Prison after they pleaded not guilty to the charge and have been ordered to reappear before the court on Nov 27.