Instructors who offer CCAs must register with MOE

Instructors offering enrichment and co-curricular activities (CCAs) to schools have to register with the Ministry of Education (MOE), starting March 19.

The exercise aims to help schools better assess the suitability of instructors in conducting their activities, said the ministry in a statement on Thursday.

From next January, government, government-aided, independent, specialised independent and specialised schools will only engage instructors registered with MOE in the following areas: CCAs, art and music schemes, programmes for active learning and conversational Chinese or Malay.

Those who are involved in overnight stays and overseas trips with students also need to register.

All other instructors of school-based CCA and enrichment activities with a duration of 20 hours or more per contract are also required to register.

Instructors not covered under the listed areas will register under a second phase, which will start in 2016.

This phase applies to those engaged for CCA and enrichment activities that last more than eight hours, but fewer than 20 hours per contract.

Get The New Paper for more stories.