KTV dispute allegedly led to bloody brawl

KTV dispute allegedly led to bloody brawl
Police in the cordoned-off area where the fight broke out.
PHOTO: Shin Min Daily News

For 10 minutes on Saturday night, two men fought each other outside a coffee shop.

One of them used his fists. The other had a knife.

Witnesses said the unarmed man had blood all over his face and shirt as he tried desperately to grab the other man's knife.

Both were seen rolling on the floor, stunned patrons of the coffee shop at Block 26 New Upper Changi Road told Shin Min Daily News.

The fight erupted suddenly, shortly before 10.30pm, when one of the men, who is known by his Chinese nickname "Ah Fa", was allegedly attacked by the other man.

Police told The New Paper yesterday that a 55-year-old man had been arrested in relation to the case which has been classified as voluntarily causing hurt with dangerous means.

Most patrons were watching a live telecast of a football match at the coffee shop.

A witness, who gave his name only as Mr Lan, said: "By the time we realised something had happened, the victim's (Ah Fa's) head was already bleeding."

Mr Lan, 77, a retiree, said the alleged attacker, a man known by his Chinese nickname of "Dog Brother", was armed with a vegetable knife.

Ah Fa, 59, tried to grab the knife but the other man continued attacking him.

Items such as a a vegetable knife lying on the ground were marked by investigators. Photo: Shin Min Daily News

Nobody dared to intervene initially.

Earlier on, Ah Fa had been drinking beer with a few men at the coffee shop.

Another witness, who gave his name only as Mr Tan, said he thought the pair were fighting with their fists.

Mr Tan, 48, realised the situation was more serious only when he saw blood all over Ah Fa.

He then noticed the knife.

The fight, which broke out outside the coffee shop, ended up at an empty space nearby.

Mr Lan, who said he did not know Dog Brother, later went to the pair and told them to stop fighting while Mr Tan tried to separate the two men.

It was then that the attacker dropped the knife and walked away.

But the aftermath was not a pretty sight.

Mr Lan added: "Ah Fa had blood all over his face. His shirt was all red.

"The wounds should be quite deep."

The Singapore Civil Defence Force told TNP that a man in his 50s was taken conscious to Changi General Hospital.

A blood-stained towel remains at the scene. Photo: Shin Min Daily News


At the scene of the fight, an area the size of a basketball court was cordoned off by police.

Items such as a blood-soaked shirt, a vegetable knife, slippers and blood stains on the ground were marked by investigators.

The 55-year-old man was later arrested in Tampines.

Shin Min reported yesterday that the fight was believed to be over a dispute the men had at a KTV establishment a few weeks ago.

Mr Lan said that Ah Fa was a regular at the coffee shop.

He was friendly and would often greet people and ask them if they had eaten even if he did not know them.

The other man was given his nickname because he was often seen in the area with a small dog.

He usually kept to himself.

This article was first published on April 18, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.

More about

Purchase this article for republication.



Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.