Man, 80, charged with murder of daughter-in-law

LEFT: Char Chin Fah is said to have caused Madam Ong Guat Leng's death between 9am and 10.04am on Thursday, at her home in Block 440, Tampines Street 43. RIGHT: The man believed to be Madam Ong's husband, Mr Char Yeng Kong

Char Chin Fah is said to have caused Madam Ong Guat Leng's death between 9am and 10.04am on Thursday, at her home in Block 440, Tampines Street 43. -ST

Get the full story from The Straits Times.

Man, 80, arrested for murder
By Jalelah Abu Baker
My Paper
Fri, Aug 22, 2014

SINGAPORE - An 80-year-old man was yesterday arrested in connection with the murder of his daughter-in-law.

He is believed to be the oldest murder suspect in Singapore's recent history.

The victim, 54-year-old housewife Ong Guat Leng, was discovered by her daughter in a pool of blood at her Tampines flat at about 10am yesterday.

She was found on the floor of her bedroom in a prone position. A knife was found under her.

It is not known whether her daughter was home at the time of the murder, or why she was there at the time.

Madam Ong is believed to have lived at the flat in Tampines Street 43 with her husband, army regular Char Keng Yong, her son and her father-in-law.

Two other daughters are married and do not live at the flat.

Her father-in-law would usually go to a nearby coffee shop at about 6am to get a drink.

Madam Ong, who was known as Jenny to her neighbours, had nine sisters and three brothers.

When asked whether there were problems between Madam Ong and her father-in-law, her eldest sister told the media in Mandarin: "You know lah, problems with in-laws are common."

The police retrieved a metal rod believed to be the weapon, a purple handkerchief, and a grey T-shirt stained with what appeared to be blood, from a garbage bin at the block.

Mr Char was seen arriving at the block at about 11am.

The police said that they received a call at about 10am requesting assistance.

Madam Ong was pronounced dead by Singapore Civil Defence Force paramedics about 20 minutes later.

When My Paper arrived at the scene yesterday afternoon, two of Madam Ong's sisters could be seen standing at the foot of the block, looking up and praying.

The family members continued to chant prayers outside the flat on the third floor for at least three hours.

Neighbours said the family had been living there for at least 15 years, and that they appeared to be happy together.

A neighbour, who lives directly above the unit where Madam Ong lived and did not want to be named, said: "They liked to sing karaoke. Like every weekend...once you started hearing Mandarin songs, you knew it was them. It was nice."

The neighbour said she would often see the pretty, short-haired woman going out with Mr Char, or bump into her in the corridor, and that she was friendly.

The neighbour added that for the first time this year, her grandchildren visited Madam Ong's family during Chinese New Year and exchanged oranges.

The police have classified the case as murder and are investigating.

Get MyPaper for more stories.