Man allegedly murders wife: Neighbour says they walked 'hand in hand'

The elderly couple went everywhere together.

So when some residents living in the same block in Compassvale Crescent found out a 68-year-old man had allegedly stabbed his 63- year-old wife to death on Sunday, they were shocked.

"They were always together. I see them going out for lunch, going out for dinner together," said an 18-year-old student, who lives in the unit next to the couple's.

"I didn't even hear them quarrel. Not even once," she said.

The man, believed to have retired from his job at Changi Airport, was arrested for allegedly murdering his wife on Sunday afternoon.

The housewife was found motionless in a pool of blood in the living room of their five-room flat. She was pronounced dead at about 5pm by paramedics at the scene.

The New Paper (TNP) understands that one of their two daughters alerted the police after receiving a call from her father.

The man was led away in handcuffs at about 7.30pm, and it is understood police seized a kitchen knife at the scene that night, but details of the alleged crime are still sketchy.

Police have classified the case as murder and are investigating.


There were no sounds of quarrel or fights from the couple's flat before the incident and several residents told reporters they found out about the stabbing only after the police arrived.

"I'm still in a state of shock. How could this happen? They were so loving and caring (towards each other)," a housewife living on the same floor, who gave her name only as Mrs Lim, said.

"I often see them together, shopping at the supermarket or simply walking hand-in-hand, albeit very slowly. You never see one without the other.

"It was only last Monday that I was speaking to them at the void deck. They were looking for a number to call because a light in their flat had blown."

According to neighbours, the couple had been married for about 35 years.

Both their daughters, aged 30 and 20, are teachers, but only the younger one was living with them. The elder daughter is married.

No one answered the door when TNP went to the flat yesterday.

The gate was padlocked and there was no movement inside, but the dried blood on the floor at the main door served as a grim reminder of Sunday's grisly incident.

This article was first published on March 15, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.