SINGAPORE - Singapore's humanitarian non-governmental organisation (NGO) Mercy Relief (MR) will be deploying a response team to the Masbate Province in Philippines today in aid of communities affected by Typhoon Hagupit.
As the NGO starts to disburse its initial tranche of relief assistance worth $30,000 in the Masbate Province, a nationwide public fundraising appeal in Singapore will be activated from Dec 11, 2014 to Jan 31, 2015.
MR said in a statement that it is responding to a a direct request for international assistance from its ground partner Citizens' Disaster Response Center.
Typhoon Hagupit is the most intense tropical storm in 2014 since Typhoon Haiyan in 2013.
Winds of 100-185 kph lashed the island, causing considerable damage to structures of light-medium construction, extensive power outage, disruption to communication services, and moderate to heavy damage to trees and crops.
The NGO's Chief Executive Mr Goh Chin Siang said: "Although typhoon preparations and evacuations have kept casualties low, Typhoon Hagupit caused damages to infrastructure and homes and affected the food and medical supply chain in Masbate Province.
"We must reach the victims to ensure that their basic survival needs are met in the aftermath of the disaster," he added.
To date the typhoon has affected more than 2 million people, most of whom are being served inside and outside evacuation shelters.
Local agencies state the number of deaths at 27. The Philippines Department of Agriculture initial estimates points to a loss of 498.3 million pesos (S$14.8 million) to the crops and fisheries sectors.
The public can contribute through the following donation modes or by initiating their own donation drives to support Mercy Relief's fundraising efforts for the victims of Typhoon Hagupit 2014.
Modes of Donation
1. Cross cheque to Mercy Relief Limited with 'Typhoon Hagupit Relief 2014' written on the reverse, and mail to Blk 160, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, #01-1568, S310160
2. Cash donations at Blk 160, Lorong 1 Toa Payoh, #01-1568, S310160
3. Funds transfer to Mercy Relief's DBS Current Account 054-900742-0
4. Credit Card donation via www.mercyrelief.org (GIVE page, click on 'Typhoon Hagupit Relief 2014')
5. Credit Card donation via GIVEasia webpage ('Help Victims of Typhoon Hagupit!)
1900 112 1010 ($10 donation)
1900 112 1050 ($50 donation)