IPOH - The Perak security council has been asked to prepare a report on the recent spate of shootings in the state and the measures to tackle such crimes.
The instruction was given by the state government as Menteri Besar Datuk Seri Dr Zambry Abd Kadir viewed seriously the shooting-related crimes. He said he had raised this matter in the state security council.
"We do not want to see more lives lost to shootings, which is not only creating fear (in the public) but giving rise to a tense atmosphere (in the state)," he said at his Hari Raya open house here on Thursday.
Since early last month, at least three shootings have been recorded in Ipoh, with the latest taking place on Wednesday night when a 29-year-old man was shot at six times. The victim survived and has been warded at the intensive care unit of Hospital Raja Permaisuri Bainun here.
Zambry admitted that the issue had to be tackled immediately and urged cooperation from all sides.
Asked if he felt that the ease of access to firearms because of the porous Thai-Malaysia border contributed to the shootings, he said this should not be used as an excuse or adjudged as the only reason.
"There are other reasons and sources for the easy availability of firearms."