A rapist who lost his appeal last week is now on the run after jumping bail.
The 28-year-old was supposed to surrender himself at the Subordinate Courts on Monday to start serving his sentence of 11 years' jail and eight strokes of the cane. But he did not show up. A warrant of arrest has been issued.
The man's appeal against his rape conviction and sentence was dismissed by the High Court on Oct 30. However, he was allowed to defer the start of his sentence so that he could spend Deepavali with his family last weekend.
The man, who was found guilty in 2011 of raping his former girlfriend's 13-year-old sister in 2006, cannot be named to protect the victim's identity.
His parents, who are in their mid-60s, posted bail of $100,000 for him. A separate hearing will be held to determine if their money will be forfeited.
His lawyer, Mr Jeyabalen, told The Straits Times on Wednesday he learnt that his client had jumped bail when he got a phone call from the man's mother on Monday to ask if her son had called him. Mr Jeyabalen said he tried to call his client but his mobile phone was switched off.
The man apparently told his parents on Monday morning that he wanted to go to the temple first. They waited for him at the Subordinate Courts but he did not show up. The man has been out on bail since appealing against his conviction in 2011.
He has denied the rape, alleging that the victim's family was trying to fix him up. During his appeal, his lawyers introduced medical evidence showing that he suffers from erectile dysfunction.
But Justice Lee Seiu Kin concluded that even if the man had the condition in 2006, he was still able to have sex. The judge also rejected the possibility of a conspiracy.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.