Retiree gets foot dragged along road

An elderly woman's leg was allegedly caught in the doors as she was trying to alight from a bus, causing her to fall backwards and her right foot to be dragged along the road for about 1m while the bus continued moving.

According to Shin Min Daily News yesterday, Ang Kim Seng, 71, had boarded service 903 to get home from a market on Tuesday morning and was preparing to get off at the bus stop next to Block 23, Marsiling Drive in Admiralty Road.

The retiree claimed that just as she was alighting, with her right leg extended out of the bus, the doors suddenly shut before she could reach the ground. At the time, she was the only one disembarking.

"I lost my balance and fell backwards but the bus started to move, so I shouted loudly for help," she said.

A passenger on the bus who gave her name only as Letchmi told Shin Min that the bus moved about 1m before stopping abruptly. The clinic assistant then realised that many people were huddled around the back door.

"I got off the bus through the front door and saw a couple helping an elderly woman to the bus stop to sit," Letchmi said.

The 49-year-old added that Madam Ang was moaning in pain, with her right ankle bleeding profusely.

Letchmi then helped to contact Madam Ang's daughter. An ambulance arrived not long after.

The retiree's daughter, May Tay, 44, said that she rushed to the scene when she heard about the incident but her mother had already been taken away.

The supply chain manager rushed to the hospital and was shocked to see her mother's wound, which was about 10cm long.

"Her wound kept bleeding. The hospital staff had to remove the bandages and apply fresh ones," Ms Tay said.

She added that her mother's back was bruised, with slight swelling on the retiree's head. Fortunately, an X-ray and tomography report showed that the injuries to Madam Ang's ankle were only external.

"My mother went for an operation on Tuesday night and the doctor said her wound was infected. She is currently in the hospital for observation, and may need skin grafts to cover the wound," said Ms Tay.

She added that the bus driver and another staff member were at the bus stop, which was spotted with blood, and gave her a customer service number to call.

She tried calling twice but has yet to receive an explanation from SMRT.

My Paper understands that SMRT is conducting internal investigations and hence could not provide more details.

Ms Tay has filed a police report and the police have confirmed that investigations are ongoing.

A Singapore Civil Defence Force spokesman confirmed that it received a call at 8.45am that day and took the injured person to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital.


Get MyPaper for more stories.