Rogue Indonesian guard held

PETALING JAYA - The Indonesian who brutally murdered bank officer Norazita Abu Talib in a robbery was nabbed in the nick of time while attempting to flee the country.

The rogue security guard, who had grabbed RM450,000 (S$176,000) after shooting Norazita Abu Talib, 37, with a pump gun on Oct 23, was reportedly heading to a jetty at about 7am, probably to escape to nearby isla­nds.

But a Bukit Aman Ops Cantas Khas squad in full tactical gear was already waiting and he was cornered, with nowhere to run.

Police had earlier been tipped off that the Indonesian with a fake Malaysian MyKad was planning to flee via the quaint village of Kampung Tanjung Belungkor in Kota Tinggi, Johor.

Investigators believe that the nearby Pulau Batam in Indonesia or Singapore's Pulau Tekong could have been his likely destinations.

"The main suspect in the shooting and robbery has been detained.

"Our three-week manhunt has come to an end," said Federal CID director Comm Datuk Hadi Ho Abdullah.

Comm Hadi said police were investigating whether the suspect was hiding out at the village or just using the place as a transit point before heading to Indonesia.

However, those in the closely-knit fishing community villagers said they had not noticed any strangers in the village.

Comm Hadi said police were grateful for the cooperation of the public.

He said police had yet to recover the gun used to kill Norazita or most of the money taken during the robbery.

Selangor police chief Datuk Mohd Shukri Dahlan said the man hid in several empty dwellings and abandoned buildings in the Klang valley and Johor before he was captured.

"The suspect is believed to have used public transport, such as bus and taxi, to get to Johor after the robbery-cum-murder on Oct 23.

"While in Johor, the man tried to get help from a syndicate to get a fake passport to escape to a neighbouring country," he told Bernama.

Earlier, Inspector-General of Police Tan Sri Khalid Abu Bakar also tweeted the news and praised the efficiency of his men.

"Well done to Bukit Aman's Ops Cantas Khas team in detaining the ruthless Ambank killer/robber in JB this morning.

"We also thank Malaysians who have assisted us in combating crime. We hope to work more with the public in the future," he said.

The suspect was later remanded for seven days until Nov 16 to facilitate investigations.

He was driven back to Selangor from Kota Tinggi and brought to the Petaling Jaya magistrate's court to be remanded.

The man, who is about 150cm-tall, was escorted by police personnel to the court at about 3.20pm.

Subang Jaya OCPD Asst Comm Yahaya Ramli said the suspect would be held at the Subang Jaya police headquarters.

AmBank operations manager Norazita was shot while she and a colleague were opening a safe in the bank at Jalan USJ Sentral 2 in Subang Jaya.

More than eight suspects - all Indonesians aged between 30 and 50 - have so far been detained in connection with the case.

Among them are the suspect's wife, family members and acquaintances.

Most of them were found to be using fake MyKads.