She was trapped between the bus tyres

FATAL: The 30-year-old bus driver was arrested after the accident that killed senior staff nurse Lucinia Wong Hang Yee.

She was a caring nurse who was well-liked by her colleagues and patients.

Sadly, senior staff nurse Lucinia Wong Hang Yee, 30, who worked at Changi General Hospital (CGH), was killed when a single-deck SBS bus hit her at Punggol Place yesterday morning.

Responding to queries from The New Paper, Ms Paulin Koh, chief nurse at CGH, said that Madam Wong was a reliable and responsible nurse.

She added: "We have conveyed our deepest condolences to the family and are extending assistance to them as needed."

Chinese evening paper Shin Min Daily News said that Madam Wong, who had been a nurse since 2006, was on her way to work when the bus hit her near Punggol Bus Interchange.

According to Shin Min, the bus was not in operation and was not carrying any passengers.

The Singapore Civil Defence Force (SCDF) said that it was alerted to the incident at 6.47am. It despatched two fire engines, a support vehicle and an ambulance to the scene.

SCDF said that its officers manually pulled Madam Wong out from underneath the bus.

She was unconscious when she was taken to Khoo Teck Puat Hospital in Yishun, where she died from her injuries at 8.15am.

Madam Wong was already in hospital by the time reporters arrived at the accident scene. But the bus was still there and a pool of blood could be seen on the road.

A witness identified only as Mr Yeo, 53, told Shin Min that he saw Madam Wong trapped between the front and back tyres of the bus.

The mechanical engineer said: "She was probably crossing the road to the bus interchange. I think the bus was making a turn when it hit her."


One of Madam Wong's church friends told TNP that she went to the Church Of Christ The King in Ang Mo Kio.

The friend, who declined to be named, added: "She was married to a Singapore Armed Forces captain in 2010 and they have a three-year-old son.

"I went to their wedding."

The friend said that Madam Wong's wake will be held today in Punggol.

The police said that officers have arrested the 30-year-old bus driver and investigations are ongoing.

In a statement, SBS Transit said it has suspended the driver pending the outcome of police investigations.

Its senior vice president for Corporate Communications, Ms Tammy Tan, said: "We are very sad that this has happened.

"We are in touch with Madam Wong's family to extend our deepest condolences, and will render assistance and support as best we can during this difficult time."

This article was first published on May 16, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.