SINGAPORE: Three Malaysian men, who were heading to Singapore through the Johor Baru Customs near Tuas, had to be escorted back on Saturday.
The Immigration and Checkpoints Authority (ICA) said their Malaysian counterpart had requested for its assistance to stop a car at the Tuas Second Link checkpoint. The car drove past an unmanned immigration counter there, failing to clear proper immigration checks.
According to the Malaysian authorities, the three men are work permit holders in Singapore.
Preliminary investigations showed that they had wanted to avoid the congestion at the Malaysian Customs, said ICA. Travellers using the Causeway and Second Link have been warned to expect delays due to heightened security measures put in place since the Paris terror attacks last month.
The ICA said there will also be heavier traffic during the year-end school and festive holidays, with an estimated 430,000 travellers using the checkpoints daily during this period.
Massive road jams were reported at the Woodlands Checkpoint in recent days.
This article was first published on December 20, 2015.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.