SingTel fire caused by employee

SINGAPORE - The Oct 9 fire at SingTel's Bukit Panjang Exchange was caused by an employee who did not follow strict maintenance procedures, including the use of an unauthorised blowtorch.

In a statement on Wednesday SingTel said it had completed preliminary investigations into the fire, which occurred during maintenance work at one of the lead-in pipes located in the cable chamber.

The fire, which took down banking, payment and Internet services, was localised in one of three pipes that houses cables connecting to homes and businesses.

An independent review by the SingTel Board Committee of Inquiry is ongoing and its findings will be released later.

Get The New Paper for more stories.