The police are stepping up security measures and checks in Orchard Road and Gardens by the Bay during the festive season, especially on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day (Dec 24 and 25) in view of the large crowds that are expected to turn up at the two areas.
The police said in a statement today that police officers, auxiliary police officers and security officers will be deployed for crowd control.
In addition, officers from the Protective Security Command and Emergency Response Teams will be on duty together with officers from the police divisions to ensure safety for merrymakers.
People are advised to co-operate with the police when they need to conduct checks on bags and personal belongings.
The police also remind women to stay vigilant against potential molesters as there were past incidents of assault after the victims' eyes were sprayed with party foam.
The public is also reminded to show consideration to others and avoid doing anything that might annoy others or compromise their safety. The police said it will not hesitate to take action against trouble makers.
As pedestrian movement is likely to be slow because of the large crowds, people are advised to follow instructions given by security personnel and directional signs.
Stay safe with these tips from the police:
- Look after your belongings at all times
- Be cautious of strangers when approached
- Stay close to your friends or move in groups
- Avoid contact with unruly crowds
- Report any suspicious characters and activities to the police by calling 999 or SMS to 71999
- Approach a police officer or dial '999' if you need urgent assistance
- For suspected terror activities, call 999 or call the Internal Security Department at 1800-2626-473
- Download the SGSecure App from Google Play Store or the Apple App Store to provide information to the authorities.