Stepmother sought over death of abused child

KUALA LUMPUR: Police are looking for the first wife of a man whose two-year-old stepdaughter died of suspected abuse.

Wangsa Maju OCPD Supt Mohd Roy Suhaimi Sarif said the police were looking for the woman, believed to be in Malacca.

"We hope she can come forward to assist in the investigation," he said on Monday.

The victim's mother, who is the man's second wife, was detained by the police on Saturday, along with her husband and his friend.

Supt Mohd Roy said checks revealed that there were bruises on the child's body.

He said the victim's mother and father had divorced before she married the suspect, who already has a wife, in July this year.

Supt Mohd Roy said the woman and the victim lived with her parents while her new husband lived with his first wife. He added that the victim's mother, however, would leave the child with her stepfather whenever she went to work.

He said the mother of the victim was still in trauma as she had suffered a miscarriage a few days ago.

Police were first alerted of the possible abuse by the girl's father, who lodged a report on her death.

Earlier, the 28-year-old father received a call from his ex-wife, asking him to go to the Kuala Lumpur Hospital (HKL) as their daughter had been admitted at about 10.25pm on Friday.

When the father arrived, he was informed by the doctors that the girl had died. The father lodged a report at the HKL police booth at 1.08am.

Investigations revealed that the girl had been brought to the hospital by her stepĀ­father and a friend at 10.13pm.

The child had earlier been playing at her stepfather's home in Lojing Heights, Wangsa Maju, at about 8pm when she started to vomit. A post-mortem revealed the cause of death as severe head injury due to blunt force trauma.

City CID chief Senior Asst Comm Datuk Zainuddin Ahmad said on Sunday that the three suspects - the victim's 28-year-old mother, her 34-year-old stepfather and his 35-year-old friend - were arrested at HKL and remanded for seven days.