SINGAPORE - Nearly two months after witnessing his 14-year-old daughter's right hand go through his sugar cane extractor, Mr Tan Guan An is finally back on the job.
The accident almost cost his daughter Yvonne Tan three fingers on her dominant hand, before doctors were able to transplant one of her toes onto her hand.
She is recovering well and is back in school, but still needs to get regular check-ups, said her father.
The father of three reopened his drinks stall at Toa Payoh Lorong 8 Food Centre on Monday.
Last month, he said he would do so only when he is assured his daughter's condition is stable.
When The New Paper visited his stall on Monday, he was happily greeting customers and serving them drinks.
A new sugar cane extractor sits at the front of the stall, in place of the older one involved in the tragic accident.
Mr Tan, 50, said he has put the trauma of the accident behind him, but still has slight reservations about using the extractor.
"It's an accident. Nobody can be blamed for it, no one wants this to happen," he said in Mandarin.
When Mr Tan read that another accident involving a sugar cane extractor happened last Saturday, he was shocked.
He said: "If people were more careful around these machines, accidents won't occur."
Get The New Paper for more stories.