Teen writes apology in own blood

An apology scrawled in blood shocked residents at a block in Choa Chu Kang yesterday.

The message, which read "I A Sorry" (sic), is believed to have been written on the common corridor wall on the sixth storey of Block 214 at Choa Chu Kang Central by a 19-year-old man who used his blood after slitting his wrists.

A resident on the seventh storey of the block, who wanted to be known only as Mr Yap, 62, said he heard a commotion at the stair landing of the sixth storey in the early hours of yesterday, just past midnight.

"I looked out of my window to the storey below me and saw at least six police officers trying to get the guy to calm down," the cabby recounted.

"He just kept shouting in English 'No, no, no.'"

Mr Yap said he was unsure what the commotion was about and was afraid to find out what was happening as he saw that the teen was armed.

"He had a paper cutter with him. I told my family to stay inside the house because I was afraid he might become violent and attack us," he said.

A police spokesman said a call requesting assistance at Block 214 Choa Chu Kang Central was received at 12.02am on Monday.


The teen was arrested for attempted suicide and investigations are ongoing.

The New Paper understands that the teen, who has been identified only as Mr Lim, is now in the Institute of Mental Health (IMH).

Singapore Civil Defence Force said it was alerted to the incident at about 12.20am and an ambulance was sent to the scene. It then took the teen to the National University Hospital.

Other neighbours, who did not want to be identified, told TNP they believed that the message was meant for another teen living in the same block.

A resident said: "I was shocked when I saw the message written in blood. This is a good place, and we neighbours get along well. It's quite a shock that something like that can happen here."

When TNP visited the block yesterday at about 4pm, the bloody message was still on the wall.

Mr Yap said the incident had shaken him and the neighbours, but believes it will not happen again soon.

"The guy has been taken away, so at least I know he won't be back so soon," he said.

"It's not a small thing for us. I hope it doesn't happen again."



This article was first published on July 14, 2015.
Get The New Paper for more stories.