Theft probe at Sentosa home where KTV hostess drowned

The waterfront bungalow along Ocean Drive where it was established that the issue involved “theft in-dwelling” took place.

SINGAPORE - The same Sentosa Cove bungalow where a Chinese national drowned in 2010 is believed to be part of a new police investigation - this time involving theft.

Police said they received a call at around 9am on Sunday requesting assistance at the luxury waterfront bungalow along Ocean Drive.

After they arrived, it was established that the issue involved "theft in-dwelling", the police said. This means that something was allegedly stolen in the bungalow. It is understood that no one was arrested. Investigations are ongoing.

The man who lives in the house now is said to have moved in less than a year ago and lives alone. A neighbour, who wanted to be known only as Ms Maurine, said she did not hear any commotion last night.

She said: "We would like to know what happened too. There were about two police cars here in the morning, and the investigation went on for about three to four hours." She added that she had never spoken to the man since she moved in last year.

When The Straits Times visited the unit on Sunday, a man arrived at the house in the afternoon, accompanied by a woman. They both declined to comment.

A Sentosa spokesman said the area is under 24-hour patrol by rangers. She said: "The rangers do very regular patrols in the area, which become even more frequent when the area gets busier."

In 2010, a 24-year-old Chinese national who was moonlighting as a KTV hostess drowned in the swimming pool of the multi-million-dollar bungalow along Ocean Drive.

It was later ruled an accident.

kcarolyn@sph.com.sg


Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

VIDEOS TO WATCH

SERVICES