They tie him up, threaten him with pliers

He suspected his estranged wife of having an affair and decided to confront the man for a confession.

Muhammad Rizal Razali roped in his father, Razali Hodri, and together, they assaulted the man before tying him up in the wee hours of July 20, 2012.

They forced the victim into a lorry and drove to a flat belonging to the estranged wife's mother to extract a confession.

The two jobless men were each sentenced to six months' jail yesterday after pleading guilty to one count of abduction of Mr Muhammad Khail Khairul Anuar, 27.

Charges over their assault of Mr Khail were taken into consideration.

Rizal, now 30, married Ms Irna Sabrina Sabri, 25, in September 2011.

Less than a year later, while they were still applying for a divorce, Ms Irna Sabrina got into a relationship with Mr Khail.

On July 20, 2012, Rizal phoned Mr Khail to confront him, after suspecting him of having an affair with his wife.

Later that morning, he met Razali, now 50, and drove him in a lorry to a Ghim Moh Road carpark. They went to the void deck of Block 16 to confront Mr Khail.

But the situation escalated at around 3.15am when Razali suddenly slapped Mr Khail.

Mr Khail tried to use his mobile phone to call for help, but dropped it when Rizal hit his hand. When he tried to pick it up, Rizal restrained him in a headlock.

In the struggle that ensued, Mr Khail's T-shirt got torn off, leaving him bare-bodied. He broke free and ran away, but fell down.

Rizal caught up with him and again held him in a headlock before handing him over to Razali, who restrained him.

Rizal then punched Mr Khail's face multiple times.

He and Razali took Mr Khail to their lorry, where he bound Mr Khail's hands and neck with a rope.

The two men forced him into the cabin of the lorry and drove off.

Deputy Public Prosecutor (DPP) Jason Nim said: "During the journey, Razali questioned the victim regarding the suspected extramarital affair and demanded that he be truthful by threatening to hurt him using a pair of pliers."

The men then picked up Ms Irna Sabrina and her father and made their way to her mother's home in Bukit Batok.

There, they had a discussion about the relationship. Court papers did not mention the outcome of this meeting.

However, Mr Khail was later allowed to leave with Ms Irna Sabrina and her father.

Mr Khail went to the National University Hospital that day.

His injuries included cuts on his face, right lower back and arms.

DPP Nim urged District Judge Ng Peng Hong to jail the men for at least six months each.


Stressing that the offence was premeditated, he added: "They made arrangements to meet up with the victim (and) the incident savours of an act of revenge against the victim."

The men's lawyer, Mr Amarick Gill, asked for his clients to each be jailed for between three and four months.

He said: "All they wanted was a confession from Khail on the affair."

Before handing out the sentence, Judge Ng said that violence was used on Mr Khail, causing him "significant terror".

The New Paper understands that the couple have finalised their divorce.

For abducting Mr Khail, the two men could have each been jailed up to seven years and fined or caned.

This article was first published on May 14, 2016.
Get The New Paper for more stories.