Various housing options for S'poreans with foreign spouses

I refer to Mr Yeo Shuan Chee's letter ("Can't buy bigger flat as wife is a work permit holder"; Monday).

A family nucleus comprising a Singapore citizen, with at least another Singapore citizen or permanent resident, can apply for a new flat of any type.

In the case of a Singapore citizen whose spouse is neither a Singapore citizen nor a permanent resident, they are treated as a single applicant, and are eligible to apply for only a new two-room flat.

Nevertheless, should the couple have a citizen or permanent resident child, they may apply for a new flat of any size.

Alternatively, the couple can consider buying a flat in the resale market, where a wide variety of flats are available to suit different budgets and needs.

Chan-Wong Jee Choo Lily (Mrs)
Director (Policy and Property)
Housing & Development Board 

This article was first published on Nov 22, 2014.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to for more stories.