'We are afraid we will be targets'

PHOTO: Shin Min Daily, Lianhe Wanbao

Mr Stanley Jang's family have been living in fear since he was gunned down in his Philippines office on Wednesday.

The 36-year-old's body arrived in Singapore from Manila yesterday morning.

At his wake, Mr Jang's mother broke down and had to be comforted by relatives.

Madam Chang, who is in her 60s, said in Mandarin: "We don't even dare to go to Philippines to see what happened. We are afraid that we will be targets.

"As long as the murderers are still out there, we are in danger."

The family are especially worried for Mr Jang's Filipino widow and her two-year-old son.

Madam Chang declined to allow The New Paper on Sunday to contact Mrs Jang.

"We fear for their safety. I cannot even tell you if she is in Singapore or in the Philippines," said Madam Chang in their Jurong East flat.

For Madam Chang, the pain was especially poignant as Mr Jang was supposed to return to Singapore this weekend to throw a surprise birthday party for his parents and join in the National Day celebrations.

Madam Chang's birthday was on Thursday and her husband's was on Friday.

Madam Chang's full name and the exact location of the wake are withheld to protect the family.

Mr Jang has been based overseas for more than a decade, but returns to Singapore often to visit relatives.

Several relatives told TNPS that he was a responsible eldest son and a caring father who took great care of the family.

Some declined to be interviewed as the grief was too great.

A male relative at the wake said the family is grieving, but was glad that Mr Jang's body could be brought home.

Many in the extended family did not dare head to the Philippines, fearing more attacks.

Mr Jang had received death threats before the brutal assault, his widow told the Philippines police.


According to the Philippine Daily Inquirer, Mrs Jang suspected that they were made by a business associate.

Mr Jang was the owner of a Philippine-based gadgets distributor, Deltatronix Enterprises.

On Wednesday at noon, Mr Jang's killers barged into his Paranaque City office and demanded to see the boss.

They shot Mr Jang at close range with modified shotguns then escaped. They did not take anything.

Mr Jang was declared dead on arrival at Paranaque District Hospital.

The motive for the attack is unknown and the attackers are still at large, Chief Inspector Arnold Dugas of the Paranaque police said previously.

The city's chief of police, senior superintendent Ariel Andrade, said a special investigation team composed of the deputy chief of police for operations, the local chief investigator and the chief of the Special Operations Unit will conduct a full inquiry of the case.

Said Madam Chang to TNPS: "The killers have not contacted us or threatened us yet, but we still do not feel safe.

"I hope the police can quickly nab them so that justice can be done."

This article was first published on August 9, 2015. Get The New Paper for more stories.