Woman engineer, 25, dies after collapsing in Nike race

Woman engineer, 25, dies after collapsing in Nike race

A 25-YEAR-OLD taekwondo enthusiast who collapsed before finishing a running race on Sunday was pronounced dead in hospital the same day.

Ms Goh Kai Lin, an engineer and a graduate of Nanyang Technological University, is believed to have suffered cardiac arrest close to the finishing line of the 10km Nike We Run.

Chinese daily Shin Min reported that Ms Goh was planning to get married and had already purchased a home with her boyfriend.

Race director Fiona Phua, of imagine+, the organiser of the race, said in a statement on Tuesday that emergency medical support was given to Ms Goh "immediately on-site".

"The runner was transported to a local hospital, where she tragically passed away," the statement added.

The police said they were informed at about 12.30pm that a woman in her 20s taken to Singapore General Hospital following the run had been pronounced dead.

A police spokesman said investigations were ongoing.

Ms Goh was cremated on Tuesday.

Her Facebook page was filled with condolence messages from loved ones.

Speaking to The Straits Times, former university classmate Nabilla Aziz, 25, said Ms Goh was known for her love of martial arts and was well-liked by her peers.

"She was always the girl with a smile on her face. She was so active. We're all very shocked that this happened," said the programming officer.

Ms Goh's employer described her as a conscientious and enthusiastic worker.

"We are saddened by Ms Goh's death and our thoughts are with her family during this sad time," said Mr Andrew Chow, president of ST Electronics (Info-Comm Systems) - a subsidiary of ST Electronics. He said Ms Goh had been an employee for two years.

"Kai Lin was known to be very athletic, and a very friendly person who showed enthusiasm and was conscientious in her work," he added.

In 2011, 22-year-old Malcolm Sng Wei Ren died after completing a half-marathon at the Standard Chartered Marathon Singapore.

A coroner's court determined last year that the Singaporean undergraduate had died from acute coronary insufficiency and had an abnormal coronary artery which had been previously undetected.


Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.