It has been almost 20 years since American actress Sarah Jessica Parker wore a pink tutu skirt as Carrie Bradshaw in the opening credits of romantic comedy series Sex And The City.
The white fluffy skirt and fitted tank top became an iconic signature look and is still one of the first outfits that come to mind when styling a tulle look.
Tulle skirts are once again back in the limelight with French fashion houses Dior and Rochas and British designer Molly Goddard incorporating the romantic piece into their spring/summer collections.
But the light and often voluminous skirt is not always easy to pull off without one looking too much like a baby doll.
Here are outfit suggestions.
Contrast the flirty feminine piece with some street style.
A simple yet classic sneaker paired with a trendy bomber jacket will help add a sporty element to the look.
- Checked bomber jacket, $44.90, from Zalora
- Salmon fine pleated tulle skirt, $19.90, from Zara
- Puma x STAMPD Clyde shoe, $190, from Puma
Give the look an edge with a graphic or rock band T-shirt.
Make sure the top is slightly fitted to balance out the volume of the skirt.
- 1. Rolling Stones T-shirt, $35.90, from Pull & Bear
- 2. Giant tutu tulle skirt, $149, from Topshop
Use different textures like denim or chambray to give the outfit a more casual feel.
Pair it with simple heels for a grown-up vibe.
- Chambray tunic, $20.70, from Muji
- White lace skirt, $126.80, fromi Roo
- Light grey sandal, $39.90, from H&M
This article was first published on February 16, 2017.
Get a copy of The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.