Year-end bashes are on the horizon. Urban highlights three key party-worthy pieces and shows you how to get the most mileage out of each item.
KEY PICK 1: THE GOLD SKIRT
$270, from Kate Spade Saturday at B1-27 Ion Orchard
Why: This pleated metallic midi skirt is ready to groove, but its elegant silhouette and length keep it classy.
Style tip: Pair the gold skirt with neutral basics to tone it down for work. A navy collared top, black pumps and cognac-coloured tote are all classics which go well with the statement skirt. An architectural cuff with a single pearl adds a modern finishing touch.
1. Navy top $225, from Cos at 03-23 Ion Orchard
2. Bracelet $272, from Faux/Real at www.nanaandbird.com
3. Cognac tote $389, from Sandqvist at Kapok at National Design Centre
4. Black pumps at 1 Orchard Building, available from next month
Style tip: A grey sweater immediately makes the glam skirt more cosy-looking. Purple mid-height heels and a quirky blue clutch add colourful points of interest. The swallow studs are interesting accents which subtly reflect the gold of the skirt.
1. Grey sweater $39, from Uniqlo at 03-27 313@somerset
2. Ear studs $180, from Alex Monroe at www.daughterthestore. com
3. Quirky clutch $580, from Matter Matters at www.nanaandbird.com
4. Purple heels $79, from Pedro at B1-32 Wisma Atria
FOR A NIGHT OUT
Style tip: A white lace top tucked into the pleated skirt lets the gold colour shine. The red pointy-toe heels add a great pop of colour, while the bronze box clutch and sparkly drop earrings further enhance the fun, party-worthy magpie effect.
1. Lace top $250, from Iris & Ink at www.theoutnet.com
2. Sparkly earrings $228, from Anton Heunis at www.pinwheeljewels.com
3. Bronze clutch $580, from See by Chloe at Robinsons The Heeren
4. Red heels $133, from Topshop at www.topshop.com
KEY PICK 2: THE EMBELLISHED TOP
US$164 (S$212), from Needle And Thread at www.net-a-porter.com
Why: Sequins and beading add a festive flair to a simple blank tank, elevating the whole look.
Style tip: Work the top into a black ensemble to reduce the party effect. The blazer and culottes create a fashion-forward smart outfit, while the strappy metallic heels add colour without going over the top. The open neckline is the perfect setting for the delicate gold necklace.
1. Gold necklace $140, from Meredith Hahn at www.pinwheeljewels.com
2. Black blazer $429, from A.L.C. at www.theoutnet.com
3. Culottes $150, from Cos at 03-23 Ion Orchard
4. Metallic heels $56.90, from Charles & Keith at 02-46 313@somerset
Style tip: A drape-y black vest gives the sparkly tank a casual feel, while the dark red trousers add a touch of holiday feeling without being too on the nose. The leopard heels are a classic neutral and the small crossbody bag allows your hands to hold a flute of champagne and plate of hors d'oeuvres with ease.
1. Black vest $109, from Zara at B2-03 Ion Orchard
2. Leopard pumps $180, from Steve Madden at www.zalora.sg
3. Red cropped pants $22.90, from Zalora at www.zalora.sg
4. Crossbody bag $355, from Oroton at 03-10 Ion Orchard
FOR A NIGHT OUT
Style tip: Tuck the embellished top into the subtly striped grey-and-black pencil skirt for a chic but body-conscious and cocktail-appropriate look. The crystal headband and beaded heels add night-time bling, while the envelope clutch gives the outfit some much-needed colour.
1. Striped pencil skirt $29.90, from Uniqlo at 01-382 Suntec City Mall
2. Sparkly headband $29, from Asos at www.asos.com
3. Pink clutch $355, from Oroton at 03-10 Ion Orchard
4. Beaded heels $59.90, from New Look at B2-34 313@somerset
KEY PICK 3 : THE JACQUARD DRESS
$720, from Alice and Olivia at 03-17 Ion Orchard
Why: The jacquard material gives this dress a fancy look and the jewel-tone colour looks right at home at Christmas parties.
Style tip: Layer a white collared shirt under the green dress to make it more demure and in the vein of schoolgirl chic. The gold-tipped black brogues and belt add classic elements with a hint of cool, while the smart black tote fits all your work necessities.
1. White shirt $79.90, from Zara at 02-02 Liat Towers
2. Black bag $99, from Pedro at B1-32 Wisma Atria
3. Black belt $6.90, from New Look at B2-34 313@somerset
4. Gold-tipped brogues US$366 (S$472), from Thakoon Addition at www.net-a-porter.com
Style tip: The gold polka-dotted sweatshirt can be worn over the dress to make it look like a skirt. The ankle booties with mesh panels and beige box bag are both fun, yet daytime-appropriate. Add the floral headband if you are feeling whimsical.
1. Flower headband $19.90, from H&M at 1 Orchard Building, available from next month
2. Polka-dotted sweatshirt $150, from Kate Spade Saturday at B1-27 Ion Orchard
3. Box bag $66.90, from Charles & Keith at 02-46 313@somerset
4. Ankle booties $109, from Bershka at B2-09 Ion Orchard
FOR A NIGHT OUT
Style tip: Let the green racerback dress take centre stage for a glamorous party look. Strappy rose gold heels and a druzy agate cocktail ring add points of sparkle, while the embellished box clutch - complete with long, festive tassels - acts as a conversation starter.
1. Cocktail ring $85, from By Invite Only at www.byinviteonly.info
2. Embellished clutch $97, from River Island at www.asos.com
3. Rose gold heels $106, from Topshop at www.topshop.com
This article was first published on Nov 14, 2014.
Get a copy of Urban, The Straits Times or go to straitstimes.com for more stories.