'Deep relief': OSCE team's joy at being freed in Ukraine

'Deep relief': OSCE team's joy at being freed in Ukraine
OSCE observers Axel Schneider (left) from Germany and John Christensen from Denmark leave a German Air Force aircraft upon their arrival in Berlin's Tegel airport, May 3, 2014.

BERLIN - The head of an OSCE team released by pro-Russian rebels in east Ukraine on Saturday expressed his "deep relief" after an ordeal that lasted more than a week.

"It is happiness, a deep relief," German Colonel Axel Schneider told a small group of journalists on the road outside of the Ukrainian city of Donetsk.

He spoke as he and the rest of the freed members of the OSCE team were on their way to Donetsk, from where they flew to Kiev and then onwards to Berlin in a German government jet, where they landed late on Saturday night.

Visibly moved on his return to the German capital, Colonel Schneider told journalists: "Imagine, last night we were in the midst of gunfire, tonight we are with our families. We would never have thought it possible."

Germany's Defence Minister, Ursula von der Leyen, said she was "filled with relief" that the OSCE team had "landed unharmed and healthy".

The group, all men, consisted of seven Europeans - four Germans including Schneider, one Pole, one Dane and one Czech - as well as five Ukrainian military officers who had been accompanying them.

They were seized by pro-Russian rebels on April 25 and kept in Slavyansk, where the insurgents at one point made them give a news conference under armed guard. One inspector, a Swede, was released April 27 because he suffered from diabetes.

The rebels insisted that the prisoners - whom they called "guests" - would only be exchanged for militants taken prisoner by Ukrainian authorities.

The observers spent the first hours of their captivity in a basement with their hands tied and eyes blindfolded, the Czech observer, Lieutenant Colonel Josef Prerovsky, told Czech television in Donetsk.

"Those first eight hours were the worst," he said.

"We spent the first two days in a basement constantly under guard, accompanied even when we went to the bathroom," he said. "Then they untied our hands and allowed us to move in the basement."

The atmosphere became more tense on Friday, when the Ukrainian military launched an offensive on Slavyansk, with one of the aims to force the rebels to free the OSCE team.

More about

Your daily good stuff - AsiaOne stories delivered straight to your inbox
By signing up, you agree to our Privacy policy and Terms and Conditions.