Los Angeles - The man accused of purchasing the two rifles used by a couple to kill 14 people in California earlier this month was ordered held without bond by a judge on Monday.
US District magistrate judge David Bristow rejected arguments by Enrique Marquez's attorney that he did not constitute a flight risk, saying his association with Syed Farook, one of the shooters, was enough to warrant his detention.
Marquez, who has been cooperating with authorities, was charged last week with terrorism charges related to his purchase on behalf of Farook of the two assault rifles used in the December 2 assault in San Bernardino that left 14 people dead and 22 others injured.
Authorities have said there is no evidence that Marquez was involved in the carnage carried out by Farook and his Pakistani wife Tashfeen Malik during a holiday party.
Marquez has also been charged with conspiring with Farook in 2011 and 2012 to commit terror attacks at their former college in California and on a busy freeway, assaults that were never carried out.
He also allegedly entered into a sham marriage with a sibling of Farook's sister-in-law, in exchange for $200 a month.
Following the carnage in San Bernardino, Marquez called the emergency services saying he wanted to kill himself and that his neighbor (Farook) had committed the San Bernardino shooting.
"They can trace all the guns to me," he told the emergency operator, according to a transcript released by authorities.
Marquez was subsequently checked into a mental health facility where he willingly agreed to be interviewed by investigators over a 10-day period.
His next court appearance is scheduled January 4, for a preliminary hearing in the case.