Death toll from mudslide in China's Xi'an rises to four

Death toll from mudslide in China's Xi'an rises to four
A man makes his way through a flooded road after the rains and floods brought by remnants of Typhoon Doksuri, in Zhuozhou, Hebei province, China, on Aug 3, 2023.
PHOTO: Reuters

BEIJING - The death toll from a mudslide last week in China's northwestern Shaanxi province has risen to four, state radio said on Sunday (Aug 13).

State-owned China Central Television (CCTV) had earlier reported that Friday's mudslide in the city of Xi'an, which followed heavy rainfall in the region, left a total of 18 people dead or missing, with two confirmed casualties.

Rescue work was underway with a total of 81 people and 11 vehicles deployed at the site, the state radio report said.

Towns and cities across northern China have been lashed by torrential rain and flooding in recent weeks causing multiple deaths and extensive damage, after Typhoon Doksuri made landfall in the country on July 28.

ALSO READ: China mudslide kills 2 in persistent harsh weather

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.