Award Banner
Award Banner

Twitter to take 10% cut on content subscriptions after 12 months

Twitter to take 10% cut on content subscriptions after 12 months
Twitter logo and a photo of Elon Musk are displayed through magnifier in this illustration taken Oct 27, 2022.
PHOTO: Reuters file

Twitter Inc CEO Elon Musk said on Friday (April 28) that the social media platform will take a 10 per cent cut on content subscriptions after the first year, as the company looks to monetise content on the website in a bid to diversify its revenue sources.

Earlier this month, billionaire owner Musk said users of the social media platform will be able to offer their followers subscriptions to content, including long-form text and hours-long video.

He had also said that the company will not take a cut for the first 12 months on content subscriptions.

Musk has been bringing in changes at Twitter to boost revenue after the platform saw advertising income drop last year in the run up to his $44 billion (S$59 billion) acquisition that closed in October.

He added that the company's cut from subscriptions on iOS and Android platforms will drop to 15 per cent in the second year from 30 per cent in the first.

ALSO READ: Twitter drops 'government-funded' label on media accounts, including in China

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.