We’ve all had cravings for one of the these foods. Sadly, some of the vendors are closed during the extended circuit breaker time.
The good news is most of these brands have released an official recipe to try at home to tide you over until things resume (hopefully) on June 1.
Now is a good time to expand your culinary repertoire, spend time to wait out Iftar time (happy fasting for those who observe Ramadan!), and plan a surprise meal for your mum come Mother’s day!
1. McDonald’s Sausage & Egg McMuffin + Hashbrown
Someone in a lockdown UK with serious cravings for McD (we feel you, mate!) tweeted McDonald’s UK for its hashbrown recipe and McDonalds UK replied with not only the hashbrown recipe, but also the recipe of one of its breakfast staples Sausage & Egg McMuffin.https://twitter.com/McDonaldsUK/status/1250339202186670080
The Sausage & Egg McMuffin
- Grate the potato into a bowl.
- Mix in an egg, then season with salt and pepper.
- Heat a glug of oil (about 2 tablespoons) in a pan, then add a spoonful of the mix.
- Flatten and cook until golden brown on both sides.
2. Ikea’s Swedish Meatballs
Family trips to Ikea and its bistro must wait another month but you can recreate its meatball at home thanks to Ikea UK’s twitter.
The recipe is even laid out like the classic Ikea manual.https://twitter.com/IKEAUK/status/1252269467515617280
3. Disney Parks Churro Bites
- 1 cup water
- 8 tbs butter
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ cups vegetable or canola oil
- ½ cup sugar
- Follow the step-by-step cooking instruction at Disney Parks
4. Ramly-style Burger
Suphon Liao of Eatbook has come up with a version of the pasar malam staple that you can try at home.
- Chicken Patty:
360g fresh minced chicken
½ tsp white pepper
1 tsp Maggi seasoning
1 tsp salt
4 burger buns
2 tbs butter
2 tbs mayonnaise
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
2 tbs black pepper sauce
2 tbs chilli sauce
1 tsp curry powder
Follow the step-by-step cooking instruction at Eatbook.
5. Lady M-style Earl Grey Crepe Cake
Andrew Bittan at The Social Tea House came up with this delectable recipe. You’ll need:
- 1 egg
- 1 tbs all-purpose flour
- 1 tbs granulated sugar
- 1 tbs cornstarch
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- premium earl grey black tea
- 5 tbs melted butter
- 2 ½ cups milk
- 5 eggs
- 1 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbs granulated sugar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- a pinch of salt
- 2 cups double cream
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 earl grey teabag
Follow the step-by-step cooking instruction at The Social Tea House
Lady M still delivers. find out more here.
6. Mashed Potatoes ala Joel Robuchon
Kristen Eppich at Chatelaine came up with a recipe for Michelin-starred chef Joel Robuchon’s famously indulgent mashed potatoes. You’ll need:
- 1 kg Yukon gold or golden fingerling potatoes, all of similar size
- 45 4g unsalted butter, cold, cut into small cubes
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- salt to taste
Follow the step-by-step cooking instruction at Chatelaine
7. Soft Pretzels like Auntie Anne’s
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 tsp active dry yeast
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 1⁄4 tsp salt
- 1 cup bread flour
- 3 cups flour
- 2 cups water
- 2 tbs baking soda
- coarse salt
- 2 – 4 tbs butter (melted)
Follow step-by-step cooking instruction at food.com
8. Almost Famous Amos Cookies
- 300 g self-raising flour
- 250 g unsalted butter – softened at room temperature
- 150 g dark brown sugar
- 110 g caster sugar
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp coffee oil / emulsion
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25 g instant oats – grind to powder in blender/food processor
- 25 g ground almond powder
- 250 g semi-sweet chocolate chips
Follow step-by-step cooking instruction at bearnakedfood.com
9. Caramel Popcorn just like Garrett’s
- 1⁄2 cup corn kernels
- 3⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 6 tbs butter
- 3 tbs corn syrup
- 1 – 11⁄2 tsp sea salt
- 3⁄4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
Follow step-by-step cooking instruction at Spicy Perspective
10. (The allegedly leaked recipe of) KFC
Barry at Rock Recipes tried the alleged KFC recipe leaked in a Chicago Tribune interview with Colonel Sander’s nephew, in which he revealed a handwritten note of the secret 11 spices mix . And the result looked legit.
Find out more at Rock Recipes.
11. Homemade Chicken Joy ala Jolibee
What? You think we’d only include just one fried chicken recipe? Here’s an Asian champion.
- 2 kg chicken, preferably drumstick and breast cuts
- Cooking oil, preferably canola or vegetable oil for deep frying
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup corn starch
- 1 tbs five spice powder
- 1 tbs garlic powder
- 1 tsp fine salt
Follow step-by-step cooking instruction at pinoy-cooking.com
For the latest updates on the coronavirus, visit here.
This article was first published in Home & Decor.