SINGAPORE - From Wednesday (March 4), travellers who had been to South Korea, northern Italy and Iran within the last 14 days will not be allowed to enter or transit through Singapore.
Singaporeans, residents and long-term pass holders who had been to these places in the last 14 days will be issued a Stay-Home Notice when they return.
National Development Minister Lawrence Wong said on Tuesday (March 3) that the definition of suspect cases has also been expanded.
From 11.59pm on Wednesday, all travellers entering Singapore who have fever or other symptoms of respiratory illness may be required to undergo a Covid-19 swab test at the checkpoint.
They can carry on with their journeys immediately after undergoing the test but should not mingle.
The test results could take between three and six hours. During this period, the travellers will be advised to minimise contact with others as a precautionary measure.
Travellers will be contacted and told their test results and those who test positive will be taken to hospital in an ambulance.
Short-term visitors who refuse to undergo the test will be denied entry.
Permanent residents and long-term pass holders who refuse the test could have their passes and privileges revoked or shortened.
All travellers - including Singaporeans - who do not comply with testing may face penalties under the Infectious Diseases Act.
This article was first published in The Straits Times. Permission required for reproduction.
For the latest updates on the coronavirus virus, visit here.