Video of woman 'drowning' in City Square Mall's suspended ball pit goes viral

PHOTO: Facebook/Beautiful Chaos

A woman experienced the fright of her life when she found herself unable to get out of a sea of balls at the newly opened suspended ball pit in City Square Mall on Feb 3.

Bloggers Vivien and John Low posted a video on their Facebook page, Beautiful Chaos, of their visit to the three-storey Airzone, touted as the world's first net playground built in a shopping centre atrium.

Vivien, who has a fear of heights, wrote how she lost balance in the pit and fell backward.

Today I had the fright of my life. We went to the newly opened Air Zone at City Square Mall. I was afraid of heights....

Posted by Beautiful Chaos on Saturday, February 3, 2018

"I could not reach the bottom and I could not stand up," she wrote.

"I tried to roll over, I couldn't.

"I tried to find the net so I could grip it, I couldn't.

"My son was stuck inside too.

"I panicked and waved and screamed for help.

"None came.

"I seriously panicked and did not know what to do."

A look at City Square Mall's net playground

  • The operator of a newly opened attraction at City Square Mall, which features a suspended ball pit, said that it will review safety measures after a video of one of its visitors "drowning" in the pit went viral.
  • The attraction, which had a soft opening in mid-January, includes a ball pit suspended on the third storey, and a slide and maze leading to the fourth and fifth storeys.
  • The ball pit is part of City Square Mall's three-storey Airzone, which has been touted as the world's first net playground built in a shopping centre atrium.
  • Parents The Straits Times interviewed said they were not concerned, with some calling the Facebook post an overreaction.
  • When ST visited the attraction, children were seen deliberately jumping into the ball pit and submerging themselves in the balls.
  • In response to the Facebook post, Airzone apologised and said in a comment that it will review the number of balls included in the pit and ensure that first-aid trained staff are swifter in their response to requests for assistance.
  • The attraction is operated by Ultimate Entertainments Group.

Eventually, she managed to stabilise herself with the help of another person.

She wrote that she pulled her son out and two other kids with her, who were in the pit alone:

"The girl was crying and I think she went out after the incident."

She added that the balls were up to her armpits while standing and noted that she is 1.72m tall.

However, she said she will continue to bring her kids there but will ensure an adult goes in with them.

"Well yes it was fun, just not entirely suitable for young kids," she wrote.

"Adult supervision needed.

"Lots of it."

In response to the Facebook post, Airzone apologised for their experience and said that it will be reviewing the number of balls included in the pit.

They will also ensure that their first-aid trained staff will be swifter in their response to those who need help.

VIDEOS TO WATCH

SERVICES