Award Banner
Award Banner

Xinmin Secondary School evacuated after bomb threat

Police are investigating the matter as a case of communicating false information of a harmful thing
Xinmin Secondary School evacuated after bomb threat
Xinmin Secondary School was notified of a bomb threat and evacuated the premises on Thursday morning (Aug 13).
PHOTO: AsiaOne/Dennis Palit

Students and staff in Xinmin Secondary School were evacuated after the school was alerted to a bomb threat on Thursday morning (Aug 13).

The Hougang school shared in a message to parents and guardians that they had been notified of the threat and subsequently evacuated the premises at around 8.30am, The Straits Times reported.

"The police conducted a thorough search of our premises and no suspicious items were found," said the school.

All staff and students were accounted for, the message also stated.

The students have reportedly resumed classes after returning to their classrooms.

When AsiaOne arrived at about 11.30am, there were a number of police vehicles parked inside the school.

A parent AsiaOne spoke to at the school, Albert Hooi, said he received an alert from the Parents Gateway mobile app at about 10am.

He added that he felt "very confident" that the school would follow the safety protocols.

"Of course, this is all very new to us, (I was) very scared as well but I think the school has done the right thing. They've alerted the police, they came and everything is all good (now)," said the 52-year-old.

A Secondary 4 student told AsiaOne that she was in her Geography class at around 8.30am, when the announcement was made.

She recalled the school subsequently conducted a thorough check of the classrooms.

"The principal said there was a bomb threat but, in the end, there was nothing found," she added.

"It really caught us off guard — some of (the students) were still having exams too."

@asiaone The police are investigating the matter as a case of communicating false information of a harmful thing. They also said that a thorough check of the premises at Xinmin Secondary School was conducted, and that no suspicious items were found. AsiaOne brings you more from the scene of the incident. #sgnews #Singapore #School ♬ original sound - AsiaOne

In response to queries from AsiaOne, the school said that they were alerted to a potential bomb threat on Thursday morning where they immediately contacted the police and carried out the evacuation.

Xinmin's principal Tan Soon Hui said all students and staff were evacuated to the school's designated assembly area in a swift and orderly manner, and that they are safe and have been accounted for.

The school said that they are working closely with the police on the investigations into the incident.

"The safety and well-being of all students and staff remain the school's utmost priority. The school will continue to support the well-being of our students and staff and ensure that appropriate measures are in place to respond to emergencies," said Tan.

No suspicious items found: Police

In response to AsiaOne's queries, the police stated that they were alerted to the potential bomb threat incident at about 8.20am on Thursday.

They also confirmed that no suspicious item was found after a thorough check was conducted at the premises.

Police are now investigating the matter as a case of communicating false information of a harmful thing.

The offence carries an imprisonment term of up to seven years, a fine which may extend to $50,000, or both.

They also reiterated that all security threats are taken seriously, adding that the police will not hesitate to  take action against those who intentionally communicate false information on bomb threats.

Additional reporting by Naufal Danish and Esther Lam.

[[nid:739933]]

khooyihang@asiaone.com

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.