5 Italians die in Maldives diving incident, foreign ministry says

5 Italians die in Maldives diving incident, foreign ministry says
Five Italian nationals have died in a scuba incident in the Maldives.
PHOTO: Pexels

ROME — Five Italian nationals have died following a scuba diving accident in the Maldives, Italy's foreign ministry said on Thursday (May 14).

The incident occurred in the Vaavu Atoll, where the group had been attempting to explore a series of underwater caves at a depth of around 50 metres, the foreign ministry statement said.

It did not give any details about the identities of the victims or the exact cause of the accident.

The foreign ministry said an investigation was underway, adding that the Italian Embassy in Sri Lanka was working to contact the victims' families and provide consular assistance.

[[nid:735824]]

This website is best viewed using the latest versions of web browsers.